Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gruene in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Henry D. Gruene

 
 
Henry D. Gruene Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 12, 2008
1. Henry D. Gruene Marker
Inscription. On this green bank, by this soft stream, we set today two votive milestones, that memory may their deeds redeem, when like our sires, our grandsons and daughters too are gone!!

Born in New Braunfels, Henry D. Gruene (1850-1920) was the son of Ernst and Antoinette Klopper Gruene, immigrants from Netze, Germany, who came to Texas in 1845 with the Prince Carl of Solms—Braunfels Colonization Movement. In 1870 he participated in the historic longhorn cattle drive to Kansas, Wyoming, and over the Rockies to Utah. Upon his return to Texas in 1871, he married Bertha Simon, settled on the north bank of the Guadalupe River, and founded the town of Gruene in 1872 by establishing his first business, a water wheel gristmill with the millstones at this marker. Later ventures included a cotton gin, mercantile business, saloon and dance hall, blacksmith shop, lumber yard, feed mill, and automobile agency. As a land developer, farmer, and rancher, he owned land from the Red River to the Gulf of Mexico. His cattle brand was HG. This marker is dedicated to our grandparents, Henry D. Gruene and Bertha Gruene in loving memory of their sacrifices, hardships, and vision in the development of the Township of Gruene, Texas.

Bessie Hampe Cobb Ernest K. Gruene Henry W. Ogletree Bertha Hampe Marbach Henry D. Gruene II James
Distant shot of the Henry D. Gruene Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 12, 2008
2. Distant shot of the Henry D. Gruene Marker
In the background is the Gruene Mansion Inn and Bed and breakfast which was the former home of Henry D. Gruene.
D. Ogletree Henrietta Gruene Steele Melita Gruene Hope
 
Erected 1984 by descendants of Henry D. Gruene.
 
Location. 29° 44.274′ N, 98° 6.24′ W. Marker is in Gruene, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is on Gruene Road south of Hunter Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Loacted on the the grounds of the Gruene Mansion Inn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1275 Gruene Road, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gruene's Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Gruene Cotton Gin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gruene (about 400 feet away); The Cattle Drives (approx. 11 miles away); El Camino De Nacogdoches (was approx. 12.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Wonder Cave (approx. 13.1 miles away); Site of Coronal Institute (approx. 13.7 miles away); The Calaboose (approx. 13.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gruene.
 
Also see . . .  The Gruene Mansion Inn. (Submitted on February 3, 2014.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Henry D. Gruene Mansion Inn and his former home image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 12, 2008
3. Henry D. Gruene Mansion Inn and his former home
Guadalupe River behind the Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 12, 2008
4. Guadalupe River behind the Mansion
Guadalupe River image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 12, 2008
5. Guadalupe River
Henry D. Gruene Mercantile Store image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 12, 2008
6. Henry D. Gruene Mercantile Store
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 2, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement