Sealy in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
There were about 19 singing society members in 1914, and they hosted many concerts, festivals and dances for the community. The Liedertafel Hall was a popular gathering place for special events for many years. Other organizations, lodges and churches used the grounds and hall for their own celebrations, as well.
In 1934 the Sealy Volunteer Fire Department began holding its annual “Firemen's Frolic” fundraiser at the hall. By 1944 the building was in need of repair and the singing society members were aging. Stockholders voted to sell the hall and land to the fire department, which raised funds to purchase and renovate the structure. It became known as the Firemen's Hall.
In June 1945 the new “Fireman's Park” opened with a celebration. The following
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11967.)
Location. 29° 46.886′ N, 96° 10.161′ W. Marker is in Sealy, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of Lux Road and Peschel Lane, on the right when traveling south on Lux Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 Lux Road, Sealy TX 77474, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. San Felipe de Austin (approx. 3.7 miles away); San Felipe de Austin Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); San Felipe United Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); A Town Hall (approx. 4.6 miles away); Stephen F. Austin's Cabin (approx. 4.6 miles away); J.J. Josey General Store (approx. 4.6 miles away); Stephen Fuller Austin (approx. 4.7 miles away); Early Roads To San Felipe (approx. 4.7 miles away).
Categories. • Entertainment • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2014, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2014, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.