Arguta Community in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Union Presbyterian Church/Founders and Early Pastors
Union Presbyterian Church
Organized by John Warnock, East Alabama Presbytery, September 1843, its mother church being Pea River Presbyterian (Barbour County). Founders, who migrated from Scotland to Argura, North Carolina, and then to Union (Dale County), 1820-1840's, called the community Arguta. The Church was housed in log or frame buildings 1859, 1886, 1909 (burned 1910), 1910-1915. A Fellowship Hall was added in 1977.
Founders and Early Pastors
Founders included George B. Keahey, Elijah Keahey, William Keahey, Neil Munn, Norman Cameron, John Keahey, James Keahey, Sr., Hugh McDonald, Archibald McEachern, Dougald McFadden, John Munn, Sr., Nancy Campbell, Margaret Keahey, Sarah Keahey (1), Sarah Keahey (2), Mary Keahey, Eliza Keahey, Martha Keahey, Margaret McDonald, Catherine McEachern, Mary McFadden, Eliza McGill, Mary Munn, Catherine Munn, Ann McFadden, Catherine McDonald. Early Pastors: Elon Martin, Duncan McCormick, Arthur Mooney, M. A. Patterson who served 15 years.
Erected 1978 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. 31° 34.089′ N, 85° 35.871′ W. Marker is in Arguta Community, Alabama, in Dale County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3925 County Road 13, Ozark AL 36360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peniel Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Dowling - Steagall House (approx. 7.9 miles away); Historic Bell (approx. 8 miles away); Merrick's - Woodshop - Ozark / Ozark (approx. 8 miles away); Early Ozark/Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker (approx. 8 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 8 miles away); Dale Veterans Memorial (approx. 8 miles away); Pea River Electric Membership Corporation (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 555 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 3, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.