Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Davis Funeral Chapel
This building was the first site used by the I.O.O.F. in Kansas. The cornerstone was laid on May 14, 1867. Later renamed Davis Hall, the upper floor was used for local political meetings.
In 1975 the premises were included in the inventory of historic sites by the Kansas State Historical Society.
Since 1911 the building has been the location of one of the states [sic] oldest continuous business establishments, the Davis Funeral Chapel, founded in 1855 by James B. Davis, followed by Thaddeus Davis, former mayor, James C. “Big Hearted Jim” Davis, Margaret Davis Moulden, first woman elected to public office in Leavenworth and Clarence E. “Pete” Moulden.
In 1988 the Davis Funeral Chapel, Inc. is under the management of the fifth generation, Davis T. Moulden.
Erected 1988 by Leavenworth County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 19.116′ N, 94° 55.007′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of Shawnee Street and 6th Street, on the left when traveling west on Shawnee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 531 Shawnee Street, Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Replica of the Statue of Liberty (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leavenworth (about 500 feet away); The Star of the West Saloon (about 500 feet away); The Star of the West (about 500 feet away); Abraham Lincoln (about 500 feet away); Leavenworth Masonic Building Association (about 600 feet away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Heritage Court / Celebration of the Midwest Family (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leavenworth.
Also see . . . Davis Funeral Chapel, Leavenworth KS. (Submitted on February 12, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Man-Made Features • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.