Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lawrenceville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Lawrenceville / Lawrenceville Academy

 
 
Lawrenceville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
1. Lawrenceville Marker
Inscription.
Lawrenceville

This early cultural, educational and religious center was settled in 1823 and named for Joseph Lawrence, prominent pioneer, farmer, and extensive land owner. A Baptist and a Methodist Church were established here prior to 1830. The first settlers of this area came from the Carolinas and Georgia, crossing the Chattahoochee River at Franklin and squatting here until land could be purchased in 1828.

Lawrenceville Academy

The first and foremost educational facility in east Alabama opened here prior to 1830. It later became the Masonic Male and Female Institute. This pioneer school was active for 50 years graduating such outstanding personalities as Rev. Anson West, D.D., Methodist minister, missionary, author, and William C. Oates, Governor of Alabama, Commander, 15th Ala. Inf. Reg., C.S.A., General U.S.A., author, statesman and editor.
 
Erected 1978 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society.
 
Location. 31° 39.572′ N, 85° 16.154′ W. Marker is near Lawrenceville, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 119 and County Road 37, on the right when traveling south
Lawrenceville Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
2. Lawrenceville Academy Marker
on County Road 119. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abbeville AL 36310, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty United Methodist Church / Hilliardsville (approx. 4.2 miles away); Rosa Parks Lived Here (approx. 4.8 miles away); Abbeville Southern Railroad/Pelham House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Abbeville/Seven Flags and an Arrow Over Abbeville (approx. 6.2 miles away); A County Older Than the State (approx. 6.2 miles away); Henry, The Mother County (approx. 6.2 miles away); Mount Enon Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Henry County Training School (approx. 6.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Lawrenceville History. (Submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
3. Marker Area
Lawrenceville designated a "Dead Town" image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
4. Lawrenceville designated a "Dead Town"
Nearby Lawrenceville Voting Precinct image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
5. Nearby Lawrenceville Voting Precinct
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement