College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Calvert Hills: A National Register Historic District
City of College Park
—“ATHA” Anacostia Trails Heritage Area —
The Calvert Hills neighborhood, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in December of 2003, is an example of the residential development that occurred on the outskirts of Washington, D.C. during the early 20th Century. Calvert Hills developed on rural property that was historically part of the Calvert family’s Rossborough Farm and Riversdale Plantation. The 428-acre Rossborough Farm purchased by George Calvert in 1822, comprised a large portion of the family’s vast estate, which extended south to Bladensburg and included present-day Calvert Hills.
The suburban community, which is framed by major transportation corridors – Baltimore Avenue (U.S. Route 1) to the west and the WMATA Metrorail/B&O Railroad to the east – developed further with the advent of the automobile and the streetcar that provided direct access to Washington, D.C. The land was subdivided in response to the expanding population, the development of the nearby Maryland Agricultural College (now the University of Maryland at College Park), and the College Park Airport. Calvert Hills was home to aviators and employees of the College Park Airport – Wilbur Wright is believed to have leased a room in a boarding house on Bowdoin Avenue in the early 1900s.
The first portion of the neighborhood was subdivided in 1907
Calvert Hills is defined by a variety of building types ranging from large scale dwellings to smaller bungalows. Architectural styles presented in Calvert Hills illustrate modest examples of Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Craftsman and Tudor Revival styles. The community is primarily comprised of single-family houses, supported along the borders by apartment buildings, a school and post office.
The Sides Map of 1853 shows the “Riversdale Desmense,” including the future Calvert Hills Area. The brick barn, highlighted in the north-central portion of the map, is the Calvert Barn, also known as the “Old Parish House.” Image courtesy of the University of Maryland, Marylandia Collection
Advertisement for homes in the Calvert Hills neighborhood that features a house built in 1912 on Guilford Road. Image courtesy of Bob & Kathy Baer
Charles Benedict Calvert inherited Rossborough Farm upon the death of his parents Rosalie and George Calvert. He maintained the Calvert land and subsequently purchased his sibling’s interests
Erected 2012 by Maryland Milestones & Anacostia Trails Heritage Area, Inc. (ATHA).
Location. 38° 58.308′ N, 76° 56.039′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Rhode Island Avenue and Albion Avenue, in the median on Rhode Island Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6713 Rhode Island Avenue, College Park MD 20740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of College Park (approx. half a mile away); Calvert Family Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Eternal Tribute (approx. 0.6 miles away); This Clock (approx. 0.6 miles away); From Plantation to Suburb; a Community Grows (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Town of Riverdale Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); "From Stagecoach to Streetcar to Subway: A College Town Emerges" (approx. 0.7 miles away); Riverdale Park (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Additional keywords. Trolley Trail
Categories. • Education • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on February 18, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.