Dorchester in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This town, in Colleton County before Dorchester County was founded in 1897, dates to the early 19th century and the origins of railroading in S.C. By 1843, only ten years after the S.C. Canal & Rail Road Company completed its first 133 miles of track from Charleston to Hamburg, the station here was called Ross, sometimes known as Ross's, Ross's Station, or Ross's Turnout. The post office established here in 1854 was called Elmville until Reconstruction.
Erected 2012 by The Upper Dorchester County Historical Society and the Norfolk Southern Corporation. (Marker Number 1817.)
Location. 33° 8.332′ N, 80° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dorchester SC 29437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Four Holes Swamp Bridge / Harley's Tavern (approx. 2.5 miles away); Four Holes Swamp (approx. 2.5 miles away); Revolutionary War Cannon (approx. 2.5 miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway, (Southern Terminus) (approx. 2.6 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 4.9 miles away); Ridgeville (approx. 5.5 miles away); Harleyville (approx. 6 miles away); St. Paul Camp Ground (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dorchester.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2014, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 20, 2014, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.