San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. Ignatius College
St. Ignatius College
May • 1855
The Society of California Pioneers
May 22, 1930
The original St. Ignatius College has developed into both the University of San Francisco and St. Ignatius College Preparatory. Placed in honor of their 125th year by both senior classes of 1980.
October 15, 1979
Erected 1930 by The Society of California Pioneers.
Location. 37° 47.097′ N, 122° 24.405′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is on Market Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 865 Market Street, San Francisco CA 94103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Parrot Building (a few steps from this marker); San Francisco Centre (within shouting distance of this marker); John's Grill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 49 Fourth Street (about 500 Phelan Building (about 700 feet away); The Barbary Coast Trail (about 700 feet away); Hotel Bristol (about 800 feet away); Ambassador Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . From the Gold Rush to the New Millennium - St. Ignatius College Preparatory. It is hard to imagine a less auspicious start for St. Ignatius College Preparatory. When Fr. Anthony Maraschi, SJ, first opened the doors of the brand-new St. Ignatius Academy on San Francisco’s Market Street, expecting to see a crowd of Catholic boys eager for Jesuit education, only three small faces peered at him on that October day in 1855. (Submitted on February 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.