Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine

 
 
The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 26, 2014
1. The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine Marker
Click on photo to view historic photos and to read captions.
Inscription.
- The Kennedy Mine -
You are standing on property that once belonged to the Kennedy Mine. The Kennedy Mine is named for Andrew Kennedy, who reportedly discovered a quartz ledge in the late 1850s. The Kennedy Mining Company was formed in 1860 when he and three partners began digging shafts near today’s mine property entrance. The mine operated sporadically until it closed in 1878. In 1886, fifteen people invested $97,000 to reopen the mine as the Kennedy Mine and Milling Co. There are many miles of underground tunnels beneath the area you are standing and looking out upon. The Kennedy extracted $28,600,000 in gold before being closed in 1942 by government decree.

- The Argonaut Mine -
The Argonaut Mine was originally known as the Pioneer Mine. The mine was discovered by two miners, James Hager and William Tudor in 1850. The mine’s serious development began in 1893 when it was purchased by the Argonaut Mining Co. The mine operated until 1942, reaching a vertical depth of 5,570 feet (1,697m) via a 63 degree shaft and it produced $25,000,000 in gold.
 
Erected by The Kennedy Mine Foundation.
 
Location. 38° 21.889′ N, 120° 47.227′ W. Marker is in Jackson
The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 26, 2014
2. The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine Marker
The nearby marker "Argonaut Mine" marker is seen in the foreground and this marker is visible as the first panel along the wall, just to the right of the boulder.
, California, in Amador County. Marker is on State Highway 49/88 (California Route 49), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located at the rest area across from the Kennedy Mine, 1.6 miles north of the town of Jackson. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Argonaut Mine (here, next to this marker); Jackson (here, next to this marker); University of California Foothill Field Station (a few steps from this marker); Argonaut and Kennedy Mines (a few steps from this marker); Anthony Caminetti (a few steps from this marker); Amador County Veterans' Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Kennedy Mining and Milling Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kennedy Mine Headframe (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Also see . . .  Jackson's Mining History. (Submitted on March 3, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
 
Categories. DisastersIndustry & Commerce
 
The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 26, 2014
3. The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine Marker
is to the right of the roof structure, partially hidden by the drinking fountain.
The Kennedy Mine image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, October 2, 2009
4. The Kennedy Mine
Below this structure, the mine reached over a mile below the surface and was one of the richest gold mines in the United States.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 3, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.   4. submitted on March 31, 2017, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement