Washington in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1834 a townsite was laid out and named, probably for Washington, Georgia, home of a leading settler.
In 1835, as political differences with Mexico led toward war, the General Council (the insurgent Texas government) met in the town. Enterprising citizens then promoted the place as a site for the Convention of 1836 and, as a "bonus," provided a free meeting hall. Thus, Texas' Declaration of Independence came to be signed in an unfinished building owned by a gunsmith.
The Provisional Government of the Republic was also organized in Washington, but was removed, March 17, as news of the advancing Mexican Army caused a general panic throughout the region. The townspeople fled too on March 20, 1836, in the "Runaway Scrape".
After the Texan victory at San Jacinto, the town thrived for a period. It was again capital of Texas, 1842-1845; and became center of Washington State Park, 1916. It now contains historic buildings and "Barrington", home of Anson Jones, the last President of Texas. (1969)
Erected 1969 by State
Location. 30° 19.568′ N, 96° 9.349′ W. Marker is in Washington, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on Park Road 12 0.6 miles east of Farm to Market Road 1155, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker is located within the Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23400 Park Road, Washington TX 77880, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Texas River Steamers (approx. 13.9 miles away); Chappell Hill (approx. 14.5 miles away); Site of Soule University for Boys (approx. 14.5 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site. (Submitted on March 5, 2014.)
2. Where Texas Became Texas. Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park Association (Submitted on March 5, 2014.)
Categories. • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.