Comanche in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Cora Courthouse
Soon after the creation of Comanche County in 1856, the town of Cora (10 mi. SE) was platted to serve as the county seat. The courthouse in Cora, typical of many early Texas courthouses, was a 12' 7" x 12' 10", one-room, squared log structure. It served the county until the seat of government was moved to Comanche in 1859. The "Old Cora" Courthouse was incorporated into a house built about 1880 and has been moved several times over the years. It stands as a reminder of the now-extinct town of Cora and of early Texas courthouse architecture.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3711.)
Location. 31° 53.853′ N, 98° 36.29′ W. Marker is in Comanche, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Avenue (U.S. 67/377) and Houston Street, on the right when traveling west on Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker and courthouse are in Bicentennial Park, at the southwest corner of the county courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West Central Avenue, Comanche TX 76442, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bicentennial Park (here, next to this marker); Indian Raid in Comanche Fleming Oak (here, next to this marker); General Ashbel Smith, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Robert Thomas Hill (here, next to this marker); Water on South Side of Square (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Durham Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comanche.
Also see . . . History of Cora, Texas. (Submitted on March 14, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 326 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 14, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.