Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Saint Mary's Catholic Parish
Very Rev. Francis Jonatus Neale, S.J.
of Georgetown College
Prior to 1785, the Catholic community of Alexandria assisted at Holy Mass in a log building and later at the home of Colonel Fitzgerald.
The land for the original church at South Washington and Church Streets was donated of March 17, 1788 by Colonel Robert T. Hooe, a protestant gentlemen.
The second church, in Chapel Alley, was acquired from the Methodist congregation in 1810.
The sanctuary and the major portion of the present church were erected in 1826 by the Rev. Joseph W. Fairclough.
Presented the 22nd day of June 1958 by Porto Caravan, Order of Alhambra.
Erected 1958 by Porto Caravan, Order of Alhambra.
Location. 38° 48.112′ N, 77° 2.643′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on South Royal Street north of Wolfe Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 South Royal Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "For God and Country" (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Dr. James Craik (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Residence of General William Brown, M.D. (about 500 feet away); Gazette House (about 600 feet away); Stabler-Leadbeater House (about 600 feet away); Green & Brother Furniture (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . . About St. Mary's. (Submitted on March 17, 2014.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 791 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 16, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.