Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first separate black church in Georgetown County. It was established by the Rev. A.T. Carr shortly after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation which freed the slaves. The church purchased this property Jan. 15, 1866, and remodeled the present building in 1908 when the Rev. R.W. Mance was minister. The educational building was built in 1949 under the pastorate of Rev. H.B. Butler, Jr.
Erected 1986 by Georgetown Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta. (Marker Number 22-22.)
Location. 33° 22.206′ N, 79° 16.812′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Duke Street, on the right when traveling west on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 Broad Street, Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beth Elohim Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Prince George Winyah Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah (about 600 feet away); Georgetown (about 700 feet away); Antipedo Baptist Church / Old Baptist Cemetery Elisha Screven (about 700 feet away); Company A, 10th South Carolina Infantry Regiment (about 700 feet away); William Screven (approx. 0.2 miles away); Methodists (approx. 0.2 miles away); Howard School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,313 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the educational building. • Can you help?