Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arcadia in DeSoto County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Arcadia City Hall

1926

 
 
Arcadia City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, March 14, 2014
1. Arcadia City Hall Marker
Inscription. The Town of Arcadia was settled in 1883, incorporated in 1886, and became the county seat in 1888. By the late 1880s the population was 300. On Thanksgiving night 1905 the town burned. Three brick stores survived. Using only brick or block, rebuilding began immediately. Most of those buildings remain today. During World War I with its two flying schools, Carlstrom and Dorr Fields, Arcadia became known as the “Aviation Capital” of Florida.

The land for Arcadia’s first city hall (140x142) was a pineapple patch bought in 1917 for $3,000 from Fred and Ida Gore. City Hall was designed in the Mediterranean Revival style and was furnished in June 1926 at a cost of $45,216, including all furnishings. A section of the original nine-foot office counter and steel shelves for the vault are still in use. The fire station first housed a solid, rubber-tired, auto driven hose wagon with chemical tanks and a 1924 American La France fire truck which is still owned and running. The original 20-foot brass fire pole and the 400-pound siren are to be placed in the City Hall Museum. In 2004, restoration of City Hall began with funding from the Florida Division of Historical Resources and the City.
 
Erected 2005 by City of Arcadia and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-563.)
Wide view of the Arcadia City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, March 14, 2014
2. Wide view of the Arcadia City Hall Marker

 
Location. 27° 13.028′ N, 81° 51.723′ W. Marker is in Arcadia, Florida, in DeSoto County. Marker is at the intersection of North Monroe Avenue and West Hickory Street (State Road 70), on the right when traveling north on North Monroe Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 West Hickory Street, Arcadia FL 34266, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. DeSoto County (approx. ¼ mile away); Owens Community School (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fort Ogden (approx. 10.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The day Arcadia burned.... Desoto Co, FL. Dusk settled uneasily on the booming county seat cattle town at the edge of the South Florida wilderness. The year was 1905. It was Thanksgiving and the celebration had been traditional in Arcadia - the dusty capital of a 3,000 square mile cattle kingdom, Desoto County.
Holocaust was ahead. In less than six hours Arcadia's wooden business houses would be smoldering rubble and ashes. Few remain who can remember that day 75 years ago when downtown Arcadia was destroyed. Yep, those old timers who do remain refer to that holiday holocaust as "the big fire".
(Submitted on March 24, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Arcadia City Hall (1926) image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, March 14, 2014
3. Arcadia City Hall (1926)
Detail of the Arcadia City Hall Main Entrance image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, March 14, 2014
4. Detail of the Arcadia City Hall Main Entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 23, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   2, 3, 4. submitted on March 24, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement