Near New Paris in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wyland Brothers Landing
Erected A.D. 1940 in loving memory of Iverson P. Wyland
Location. 41° 31.039′ N, 85° 49.034′ W. Marker is near New Paris, Indiana, in Elkhart County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of County Road 42 and County Road 29, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in Baintertown Park, part of the River Preserve County Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 67380 County Road 29, New Paris IN 46553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Five Medals Village (within shouting distance of this marker); New Paris World War II Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Waterford Elementary School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site Of The First School House In Elkhart County (approx. 2 miles away); Jackson Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); A History of the Winona / Bethany Christian Schools Violett Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Engines of the Winona (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Paris.
Regarding Wyland Brothers Landing. From the Elkhart County Parks and Recreation website:
"In 1830, Jonathan Wyland and five of his brothers came to Elkhart County from Ohio. The brothers entered 640 acres of land and built a mill race and a saw mill. The area soon became known as Wyland Mills as they expanded their milling operations to include a four story grist mill in 1835 and a woolens mill in 1840. After the death of his wife, Johnathan Wyland sold his holdings to Fredrick Bainter in 1860. The area was re-christened Baintertown but was never plotted or recorded. In 1898 William Redden purchased the original Wyland Mill, homestead and land. The mill continued to operate until 1923 when it could no longer compete against national brands.
The Interstate Public Service Company bought the farm from the Redden family and built the Baintertown Hydroelectric plant. The plant was owned by several utility companies over the years but was finally shut down in 1969. Northern Indiana Public Service Company donated the plant, dam,
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 2, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.