Jackson in Washington County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Home of Reuben John Schmahl
Village of Jackson, Wisconsin
In 1886, John Sr. and Juliana built this two-story cream city solid brick four-bedroom home, with its field stone basement and cistern to replace the log house. Since that time, the families of John Schmahl, Sr., John Schmahl, Jr., and Reuben John Schmahl have all called it home for a period of over 122 years. Needed improvements and interior remodeling were made to the home including new entrances with enclosed porches.
Reuben John Schmahl was born April 2, 1914. Although farming on this homestead was his livelihood, Reuben dedicated his life to public service. His lifelong achievements and leadership roles extended to the community, county, and State of Wisconsin. Beginning at the local level and continuing over the years, he served 20 years on the Jackson School Board, 44 years on the Town of Jackson Town Board, including 38 years as Town Chairman.
Erected 2008 by Landmarks Commission, Washington County, Wisconsin. (Marker Number 07-003.)
Location. 43° 19.415′ N, 88° 9.216′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Wisconsin, in Washington County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N168 W19721 Main St., Jackson WI 53037, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mill Road Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Maxon-Wright House (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Livery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Dheinsville Settlement (approx. 5.1 miles away); Schubert Cheese Factory (approx. 5.6 miles away); Winter Farm (approx. 5.8 miles away); Verbeck Residence (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 277 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 8, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on April 9, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.