Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The first advanced school erected in Manatee County was built about 200 feet east of this site on land deeded 15 August 1876 expressly for education and cultural purposes by Edmund Lee and his third wife, Elizabeth, to Trustees of the Joint Stock Company. The construction of the Academy was by private subscription, but it was maintained by public funds. No tuition was required. The school house was a single small frame one story rectangular building with a traditional bell housed in a cupola. The attic provided a meeting place for members of the Grange and Free Masons and was reached by outside stairs.
The building did not become public property
Electa Arcotte Lee (born c.1807 – died 1860)
About 150 feet northeast of the Academy, Electa A. Lee taught the first school in Manatee County in the 1840ís and 1850ís. Mrs. Lee came to this area with her husband, Reverend Edmund Lee, a Presbyterian minister in 1844. The private school was a room over her husbandís store which was attached
Erected by Manatee County Historical Society.
Location. 27° 29.756′ N, 82° 32.696′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of Manatee Avenue East (State Road 64) and 17th Street East, on the right when traveling east on Manatee Avenue East. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the Manatee Elementary School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1674 Manatee Avenue East, Bradenton FL 34208, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edmund Lee Family Graveyard and the Lonesome Grave/William R. Whitaker House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Manatee Burying Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Manatee Courthouse / Manatee Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Fogarty Boat Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 1887 Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Stephens House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Wiggins Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Florida's Earliest Courthouse Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
Also see . . . about Reverend Edmund Lee of Manatee.
The Reverend Edmund Lee of Manatee, the first Presbyterian minister in south Florida, and his wife, Electa, (Submitted on April 10, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 10, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.