Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Thomaston in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

History of the Town of Thomaston

 
 
History of the Town of Thomaston Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 12, 2014
1. History of the Town of Thomaston Marker
Inscription.
(side 1)
About 1830, settlers from the Carolinas and Virginia came to this area in search of fertile land. They staked their claims to adjoining plantations adjacent to what became Thomaston. In 1890, Dr. Charles Brooks Thomas bought the plantation where Thomaston is located. He was a man of vision and it was his greatest ambition to convert his land into a thriving town. In 1892, Dr. Thomas was appointed postmaster and the community was named Thomaston in his honor. The Town of Thomaston was incorporated in February, 1901 with a population of 51 people and Dr. Thomas as the first Mayor. The railroad came to town the same year. Dr. Thomas then had the land surveyed and laid out the town. Planters Bank and Trust Company was established in 1914. Telephone service began in 1914 and electricity came in 1929.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
In 1949, the town limits were extended and the population jumped to over 1000. With the population growth, the town installed street-lights and the streets were paved and marked.

Water and gas systems were installed and a volunteer fire department was organized.

Beginning in the 1950's, a yearly barbeque was held serving “Good Ole Thomaston Barbeque.”
History of the Town of Thomaston Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 12, 2014
2. History of the Town of Thomaston Marker
The Alabama Rural Heritage Foundation, sponsor of the Pepper Jelly Festival, was established in 1986. The 2000 census showed a population of 383.
 
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Thomaston.
 
Location. 32° 15.992′ N, 87° 37.625′ W. Marker is in Thomaston, Alabama, in Marengo County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue (Alabama Route 28) 0.1 miles west of Alabama Route 25, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6510 2nd Avenue, Thomaston AL 36783, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethel Baptist Church & Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Bethel Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); History of Linden, Alabama (approx. 10.3 miles away); A County Older Than the State (approx. 10.4 miles away); Old Marengo County Courthouse (approx. 10.6 miles away); St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard (approx. 11.8 miles away); St. Michael's Cemetery (approx. 11.8 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 14 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Thomaston Town Pond image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 12, 2014
3. Thomaston Town Pond
Old Calaboose at Thomaston image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 12, 2014
4. Old Calaboose at Thomaston
Built circa 1905-25, used as a holding cell.
Thomaston Post Office & Water Tower image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 12, 2014
5. Thomaston Post Office & Water Tower
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement