Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colusa in Colusa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Adelade M. Ryerson House--1906

 
 
Adelade M. Ryerson House--1906 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson, April 12, 2014
1. Adelade M. Ryerson House--1906 Marker
Inscription. This house, also called the Tin House because of its pressed metal siding has a symmetrical façade that is suggestive of a Colonial Revival influence. In the 1890’s a flour mill was located on this site but eventually closed because of continued erosion of the river bank. In 1906 the land upon which the house was built was purchased for “ten dollars gold coin of the United States”. For many years before World War Two, the house served as a bordello, one of many in town. The house, originally located just north of the present site was moved here in 1940 after the state rebuilt the levee. In 1979 the Downer Land Company purchased the building and renovated the structure.
 
Erected 2014 by Sam Brannan Chapter E Clampus Vitus Chapter #1004.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 12.94′ N, 122° 0.598′ W. Marker is in Colusa, California, in Colusa County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street, on the right on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 646 Main Street, Colusa CA 95932, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Chinatown District--Circa 1890 (about 300 feet away,
Adelade M. Ryerson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson, April 12, 2014
2. Adelade M. Ryerson House Marker
measured in a direct line); Will Semple Green House (about 600 feet away); Colusa County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Carnegie Library (about 800 feet away); I.O.O.F. Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge H. M. Albery House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Center Section of the Former Colusa Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Our Lady of Lourdes Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colusa.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Adelade M. Ryerson House image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson, April 12, 2014
3. Adelade M. Ryerson House
Dedication Ceremony at the Ryerson House image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson, April 12, 2014
4. Dedication Ceremony at the Ryerson House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2014, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 13, 2014, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement