Kingfisher in Kingfisher County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Founded by Congregationalists, this college – site one mile north, 1890- 1922, achieved renown in education and character-building.
It lives on at the University of Oklahoma as the Kingfisher College Chair of the Philosophy of Religion and Ethics.
Erected 1958 by Oklahoma Historical Society and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 35° 51.41′ N, 97° 54.414′ W. Marker is in Kingfisher, Oklahoma, in Kingfisher County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 33 and Bowman Avenue, on the left when traveling west on State Highway 33. Touch for map. The marker is located in a small pull-out on the south side of Oklahoma state highway 33, just east of the intersection with Bowman Avenue and about one mile east of the Kingfisher city limit. Marker is in this post office area: Kingfisher OK 73750, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kingfisher (approx. 1½ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Kingfisher College.
Chartered as the forty-second college in the United States affiliated with the Congregational Church, Kingfisher College was established (Submitted on April 13, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Exploring Oklahoma History - Kingfisher College.
Kingfisher College was a college in Kingfisher, Oklahoma from 1895-1922. First opened in an old hotel in Kingfisher on September 2, 1895, the college was the 42nd with ties to the Congregational church in America. Enrollment was increasing until World War I, when it sharply fell. The college was forced to close in 1922, due to declining donations and cheaper tuition at schools such as Central State Normal School. (Submitted on April 13, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.