Near Albion in Noble County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Stanley Schoolhouse
- The 1915 Stanley Schoolhouse, named after a nearby landowner Henry Stanley, was one of several schoolhouses built on the site. The first was a log structure. A later frame schoolhouse was burned down by an arsonist.
- The Stanley School house has tall windows facing east and south, allowing sunlight to warm the room and provide light.
- The grounds around the schoolhouse also included an outhouse, water pump and a schoolyard for recess.
- I am gratified to know that my pupils have all become useful citizens. Some of the boys are prosperous and intelligent farmers. One is the elder in the Methodist Church. One has been recorder in our county; and not one, to my knowledge, has ever been a saloon keeper.
- M.A. Love, Noble County school teacher, mid-1800s
- Look for it!
What's wrong with the date over the doorway?
- The 1785 Land Ordinance designated that the 16th section of each township be set aside to support schools. After becoming a state in 1816, Indiana townships frequently sold the section and used the proceeds to build a school. The red square indicates the Stanley Schoolhouse. Can you find other schoolhouses on the map?
- Through the late 1800s, rural schools remained one-room ungraded schoolhouses,
Erected by Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
Location. 41° 20.272′ N, 85° 21.946′ W. Marker is near Albion, Indiana, in Noble County. Marker can be reached from County Road S300E south of County Road E75S, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker and the Stanley Schoolhouse are located in Chain O'Lakes State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Albion IN 46701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Noble County Seat (approx. 5 miles away); Noble County Seat / Noble County Courthouse (approx. 5 miles away); Noble County Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away); Churubusco War Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Camp Mitchell (approx. 8.8 miles away); Gene Stratton-Porter (approx. 9.6 miles away); Lakeview Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Civil War Memorial Cannon (approx. 10.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albion.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 19, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.