Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Johnson County Courthouse
Fire destroyed Dodson's 1883 building on April 15, 1912, and the Commissioner's Court chose German-born Otto Lang (1864-1947) and Welshman Frank Witchell (1879-1958) to design their new house of justice. While many firms of the time were designing Beaux Arts or Late Victorian structures, Lang and Witchell were fond of the increasingly popular Prairie School style as inspired by Frank Lloyd Write and Louis Sullivan. Johnson County Courthouse drawings are attributed to architect Charles E. Barglebaugh, the Project Architect for Lang and Witchell who trained under Wright.
Complete in 1913, the courthouse is very similar to Lang and Witchell's Cooke County Courthouse in Gainesville, Texas. Designed on a basic Beaux Arts plan but modernized with Prairie Style elements and Sullivanesque details, the Johnson County Courthouse features a prominent clock tower and an impressive six-story
At the dawn of the 21st century, the Johnson County Courthouse remains in service as the center of county government.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2831.)
Location. 32° 20.839′ N, 97° 23.165′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is on North Caddo Street (State Highway 174) north of East Chambers Street (Business U.S. 67), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleburne TX 76031, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cleburne Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); General Patrick R. Cleburne (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Middleton T. Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Godley (approx. 10.8 miles away).
More about this marker. Incise: John & Virginia de Golyer Maxson, Little Hoss Ranch, Godley, TX
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.