Elkhart in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1795 – 1856
1795 – 1856
First physician of this township who purchased Section five of the Indians in 1829, and in 1832 laid out the original plat of Elkhart. Built the first saw mill in 1831; the first flour mill in 1832; the first carding mill in 1835; the second flour mill in 1845; the first paper mill in 1847.
Erected by his nephew Albert R. Beardsley 1913
Location. 41° 41.568′ N, 85° 58.71′ W. Marker is in Elkhart, Indiana, in Elkhart County. Marker is on W. Beardsley Avenue west of N. Riverside Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkhart IN 46514, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Havilah Beardsley House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main St. Memorial Bridge (about 700 feet away); Development of Diagnostic Test Strips (approx. ¼ mile away); Elkhart River Wharves (approx. ¼ mile away); Ruthmere (approx. ¼ mile away); Island Park Ambrose G. Bierce (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Rivers for Recreation (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
More about this marker. At the base of the statue is scripted “P. Bazzanti Florence 1913". At the base of the monument is scripted “E. Hill Turnock - Architect”.
Also see . . . Havilah Beardsley House. Information on Havilah Beardsley and his house located 1/4 mile east of the statue and marker. Also includes a 1913 photo of the statue and marker. (Submitted on April 22, 2014.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 311 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 22, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.