Near Angeles in Clark Freeport, Pampanga, Philippines
Col. John M. Stotsenburg - Maj. Harold M. Clark
Fort Stotsenberg/Clark Air Base
—- Clark Air Base Museum - —
Col. John M. Stotsenburg
Fort Stotsenburg, now the Stotsenburg Area, was named for John M. Stotsenburg, Captain, Sixth U.S. Cavalry, and Colonel, First Nebraska Volunteers. A native of Indiana, and a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy in 1881, he assist [sic] in organizing the First Nebraska Volunteer Regiment immediately after the declaration of war with Spain in 1898 and took it to the Philippines where he became its commander. Colonel Stotsenburg’s regiment saw almost constant action. On 5 February 1899, the San Juan River Bridge, the Convent of San Juan Del Monte, and San Felipe were taken by troops commanded by Colonel Stotsenburg, who personally led the attacks during this campaign. The colonel commanded more troops than any brigadier general on the field in the Philippines to that time. Colonel Stotsenburg was killed while leading his regiment in action near Quinue, Bulacan, Luzon on 23 April 1899. He is buried in the National Cemetery at Arlington.
[Insignia: 13th Air Force, U.S.]
Maj. Harold M. Clark
Clark Air Base was named for Harold M. Clark, Major, U.S. Army Signal Corps. Born in Minnesota and reared in Manila, Clark was commissioned
[Insignia: Thirteenth Air Force, U.S.]
Erected 1984 by U.S.13th Air Force.
Location. 15° 10.92′ N, 120° 31.607′ E. Marker is near Angeles, Pampanga, in Clark Freeport. Marker can be reached from S. Osmeña Street north of Ninoy Aquino Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The
Also see . . . Pampanga Talents: The Clark Museum, Clark Air Base, and The Negritos of Pampanga. (Submitted on May 5, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. "Philippine Insurrection" a.k.a. the "Philippine-American War"(1899-1902); Clark Freeport Zone; Clark Development Corporation ["CDC"]; Filipinos; Aetas a.k.a. "Negritos".
Categories. • Air & Space • War, Spanish-American • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 2, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on May 3, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6. submitted on May 5, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.