Dothan in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station
Constructed by the Atlantic Coastline Railroad in 1907 during Dothan's rapid growth as a commercial center of the Wiregrass Region, this building serves as a reminder of the most popular and accessible form of transportation in the early 20th century, linking Dothan citizens to larger cities and beyond. Adjacent to this station was the city's first passenger & freight depot, built by the Alabama Midland Railroad in 1889 and demolished in the early 1970's. This two-story brick station served Dothan until 1979 when it was closed to passenger traffic.
Erected 2008 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Dothan Landmarks Foundation and the Wiregrass Transit Authority.
Location. 31° 13.837′ N, 85° 23.506′ W. Marker is in Dothan, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of Depot Street and North St Andrews Street, on the right when traveling west on Depot Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Depot Street, Dothan AL 36303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dothan Dixie Standpipe (within shouting distance of this marker); First Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Steamboat Era (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cherry Street African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Federal Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1905 Houston County Courthouse Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dothan Municipal Light and Water Plant (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dothan Opera House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dothan.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.