Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sherman in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Federal Building (United States Courthouse)

 
 
Federal Building (United States Courthouse) Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 9, 2014
1. Federal Building (United States Courthouse) Marker
Inscription.

After the Sherman Division of the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Texas was established in 1902, plans were made to construct this building to serve the court and the postal service. U. S. Treasury Department Supervising Architect John Knox Taylor designed this Spanish Colonial Revival-Beaux Arts style building. Located in the commercial center in close proximity to the rail station, the structure was completed in early 1907 at a cost of $140,000. With its terra cotta roof tiles, faux balconies with wrought iron grillwork, lamp brackets at both entrances, and two eagles overlooking the main entry, it was an imposing edifice and a significant addition to Sherman's downtown environment.

In addition to the federal court, the building has housed local offices of other federal agencies, including the Selective Service Administration, Internal Revenue Service, Federal Bureau of Investigation, General Services Administration, and the Departments of Agriculture, Labor and Defense. From 1907 to 1963, the U. S. Postal Service occupied the entire first floor. The original design of the building has remained essentially unchanged except for the first floor, which was remodeled when the post office moved in 1963.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
 
Erected 1997
Federal Building (United States Courthouse) and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 9, 2014
2. Federal Building (United States Courthouse) and Marker
by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11908.)
 
Location. 33° 38.32′ N, 96° 36.587′ W. Marker is in Sherman, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is at the intersection of Travis Street and Pecan Street, on the right when traveling north on Travis Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Travis Street, Sherman TX 75090, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Sherman Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Binkley Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter W. Grayson (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Confederate Monument Erected in Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gold Star Mothers (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grayson County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home County of Conservationist Allison Mayfield (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sherman.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement