Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Green Spring in Frederick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Stone Church at Greenspring

 
 
Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 15, 2008
1. Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker
Inscription. One-half mile west at Greenspring stands the Old Stone Church, the second church building on the site, which was built in 1838 for a Lutheran congregation. The first church had been built as a subscription school and as a house of worship. Old Stone Church and its large cemetery both had been long abandoned when, in 1927, Cora Bell Crim led local residents in restoring them and forming the Old Stone Church Memorial Association. The earliest extant Lutheran church in Frederick County, Old Stone Church is a rare example of the simple stone churches once common in the northern Shenandoah Valley.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number A 67.)
 
Location. 39° 17.821′ N, 78° 9.568′ W. Marker is near Green Spring, Virginia, in Frederick County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Spring Road (County Route 671) and Warm Spring Road (County Route 676), on the right when traveling west on Green Spring Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan Cabin (approx. 3.8 miles away in West Virginia); West Virginia / Frederick County
Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 15, 2008
2. Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker
(approx. 4.2 miles away); Hopewell Friends Meeting House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Action at Stephenson’s Depot (approx. 4.9 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 5 miles away in West Virginia); Third Battle of Winchester (approx. 5.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Stephenson Depot (approx. 5.4 miles away); Battle of Rutherford's Farm (approx. 5.5 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Old Stone Church. (PDF) National Registry application. The church stands on a knoll nestled against a grove of mature trees overlooking the surrounding farmland, just off Route SR 671. (Submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gardner Phillips, August 2009
3. Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker
Old Stone Church Greenspring Va photographer Gardner Phillips Jr.
Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gardner Phillips, 2008
4. Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker
Interior Old Stone School House side
Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gardner Phillips, 2008
5. Old Stone Church at Greenspring Marker
Interior Old Stone Church side
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,699 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on August 21, 2011, by Gardner Phillips of Richmond, Us.   4, 5. submitted on September 16, 2011, by Gardner Phillips of Richmond, Us.
Paid Advertisement