Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Weatherford in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Grace First Presbyterian Church

 
 
Grace First Presbyterian Church Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, May 4, 2014
1. Grace First Presbyterian Church Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. Three congregations, the earliest founded in 1859, joined forces in Parker County to create Grace First Presbyterian Church. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the oldest of the three congregations, focused on education as an important ministry to this church. The Pioneer School at Veal Station was deeded to the church to improve the education of Parker County's youth. The Texas Female Seminary was established in 1889 by the Presbyterians and flourished until 1911 when it was sold to the Weatherford Sanitarium. The Weatherford Presbyterian Church (later the First Presbyterian Church) was established by the P.C.U.S. in 1874. When the Rev. H. A. Tucker, related to the Northern Branch of Presbyterianism, was mistakenly called by the Weatherford Presbyterian Church, the result was the establishment of the First Presbyterian Church U.S.A. Grace Presbyterian Church, a U.S.A congregation, in 1906 grew out of the Cumberland Congregation. Grace and First informally joined forces in 1927 after prayer and consideration.

In 1964 the Weatherford congregations merged to organize as Grace First Presbyterian Church. Members have contributed to the community in numerous ways, including the establishment and continuing support of Manna Storehouse, Inc., the first community-based agency to provide food and clothing for Parker County's needy
Grace First Presbyterian Church Sign and Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, May 4, 2014
2. Grace First Presbyterian Church Sign and Marker
citizens. Grace First members helped establish the Parker County chapter of Habitat for Humanity and are also active in the work of the Fort Worth Presbyterian Night Shelter. In 1974, Grace First Presbyterian Church celebrated 100 years of worship and service in the Weatherford Community by moving into a new building, and continues to worship and serve the Parker County community to this day. (2012)
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17254.)
 
Location. 32° 44.617′ N, 97° 48.833′ W. Marker is in Weatherford, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is at the intersection of Mockingbird Lane and South Bowie Drive, on the left when traveling east on Mockingbird Lane. Touch for map. The marker is located just to the right of the church sign. Marker is at or near this postal address: 606 Mockingbird Lane, Weatherford TX 76086, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. August 17, 1945 B-29 Crash (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Claude Wright House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Franco-Texan Land Company Building (approx. 1.4 miles away); Parker County, C.S.A. (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old City Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Dean of Texas Trail Drivers Oliver Loving (1812 - 1867) (approx. 1.8 miles away); Clark Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away); Jack Llewellyn Knight (approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weatherford.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 6, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement