Slaton in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Pecos and Northern Texas branch of the Santa Fe Railroad line reached Slaton in May 1911, one month after the first town lots were sold. The official opening day of Slaton was held on June 15, 1911, when the first of Santa Fe's four daily passenger trains arrived.
Slaton grew rapidly as the railroad established a division point here which included a Harvey House, roundhouse, machine shops, and a two-story freight and passenger depot. A post office was opened in 1911 with Annie Higbee as postmistress. Buildings were quickly erected on the square as businesses were established. The Santa Fe hired Dr. Samuel Houston Adams as surgeon for the Slaton Division.
Slaton was incorporated in 1912. R. J. Murray was elected mayor, and Joe H. Teague, Sr., served as first city marshal. Located in one of Texas' foremost agricultural regions, Slaton continues to have an economy based on ranching and farming.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4947.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located in the northwest corner of city square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 South 9th Street, Slaton TX 79364, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slaton Bakery (within shouting distance of this marker); Engine 1809 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Slaton Volunteer Fire Department (about 600 feet away); Slaton Harvey House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mercy Hospital (approx. ¾ mile away); Englewood Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Spanish Explorers' Route (approx. 9½ miles away); Site of Mackenzie Cavalry Camp (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Slaton.
Also see . . . Slayton, Texas.
Eli Stilson and J. I. Case (manufacturer of farm machinery) were original owners. The land was bought in 1901 by Herbert L. Kokernot who encouraged settlement, but the town didn’t really come into being until the Santa Fe Railroad establish a round house. A post office was established by 1910 and the railroad purchased the townsite the following year. The town was named in honor of rancher O. L. Slaton, who promised to establish a bank. (Submitted on March 18, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 18, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.