Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Reese Air Force Base
During the post-war years reserve units used the facilities here, and barracks were converted into housing for returning veterans and their families. By 1949 the base was reactivated and renamed in honor of First Lt. Augustus F. Reese, Jr., a Shallowater, Texas, native killed in action during World War II.
Designated a permanent installation by 1950, Reese Air Force Base was transferred to Air Training Command in 1958. Thousands of pilots were trained here in the following decades, but by the 1990s the base was slated for permanent closure, leaving a 56-year legacy of excellence. More than 25,000 men and women earned their wings at Reese, including more than 600 international students from 40 allied countries.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 33° 35.604′ N, 102° 1.601′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is at the intersection of Research Boulevard and South Reese Boulevard, on the left when traveling north on Research Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Lubbock TX 79416, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reese AFB Texas (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carlisle Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bledsoe Santa Fe Depot (approx. 4.6 miles away); Isham and Texana Tubbs House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Arnett House (approx. 5½ miles away); Texas Tech Dairy Barn (approx. 8.6 miles away); Monterey High School (approx. 8.7 miles away); Texas Tech Judging Pavilion (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.