Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Levelland in Hockley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Levelland

 
 
City of Levelland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 29, 2014
1. City of Levelland Marker
Inscription. Surveyed and platted in 1912 as “Hockley City” by cereal magnate C.W. Post. Although only a barren townsite, place won race for county seat in 1921. The first meeting of county officers was held at future courthouse site — in a Cadillac automobile.

Soon city square boasted a temporary courthouse (16 by 32 feet), a well, and a community black-eyed pea patch.

When a post office opened, in 1922, city was renamed Levelland, for its topography. Prosperity arrived with the coming of the railroad in 1925 and discovery of oil in the county in 1937.
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 888.)
 
Location. 33° 35.232′ N, 102° 22.636′ W. Marker is in Levelland, Texas, in Hockley County. Marker is on Houston Street east of Avenue H (County Route 300), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 802 Houston Street, Levelland TX 79336, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hockley County Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Hockley County (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Spade Ranch
City of Levelland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 29, 2014
2. City of Levelland Marker
(approx. 9.8 miles away); Ropesville Cemetery (approx. 16.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement