Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Muleshoe in Bailey County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge

 
 
Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 29, 2014
1. Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1935 as a wintering area for migratory waterfowl, Muleshoe Wildlife Refuge is on the “central flyway” in a chain of refuges from Mexico to Canada. Migrating birds begin arriving in August and remain until April. The largest wintering concentration of sandhill cranes in North America is most noticeable here from October through March. The site, covering over 5,000 acres, provides habitat for many other species of birds and wildlife. Muleshoe is one of several national wildlife refuges in Texas that protect migratory waterfowl, endangered wildlife species, or unique natural habitats.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3530.)
 
Location. 33° 57.014′ N, 102° 44.52′ W. Marker is near Muleshoe, Texas, in Bailey County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 214 and Farm to Market Road 1248, on the left when traveling north on State Highway 214. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Muleshoe TX 79347, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. La Pista de Vida Agua (approx. 2.8 miles away); Enochs Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 29, 2014
2. Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge Marker
 Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (Submitted on May 13, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Animals
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement