Clay City in Powell County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Clay City Timber Industry / Early Iron Works
-With Kentucky Union Railway Company's track laid in Powell Co. in 1886, the area's timber industry expanded. Red River Lumber Mills (1880)became largest steam powered sawmill in Ky. In 1890, the steady run began at one of America's largest timber processing plants. A 1906 mill fire and deforestation of area's timber led to the end of "boom days" in Clay City.
-Though there is evidence of iron production in area even earlier, land was bought for this purpose, 1805, by Robert Clark Jr. and Wm. Smith. Known as Clark & Smith's Iron Works, 1805-1808. A blast furnace called Red River Iron Works operated here from 1808 to 1830. Rebuilt as Estill Steam Furnace on another site; closed in 1869. Presented by Red River Hist. Soc. with ISTEA Funds.
Erected 1998 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2015.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 51.636′ N, 83° 55.284′ W. Marker is in Clay City, Kentucky, in Powell County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is located
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collecting Red River's History (within shouting distance of this marker); Courthouse Burned (approx. 3.4 miles away); Woody Stephens and Forty Niner (approx. 3.4 miles away); County Named, 1852 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Battle-June 8, 1864 (approx. 13 miles away); Little Mountain Indian Mound (approx. 13½ miles away); Battle-June 9, 1864 (approx. 13½ miles away); Civil War Robbery / Bank Sues (approx. 13.6 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.