Campton in Wolfe County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Gateway to Appalachia
Education has always played a prominent role in Wolfe County. Hazel Green Academy, founded in 1880 by W.O. Mize, J.T. Day and G.B. Swango, educated students until 1963. Kentucky Wesleyan Academy opened in Campton in 1896 and closed in 1912. The Alvan Drew School was founded in Pine Ridge in 1913; today, as the Dessie Scott Children’s Home, it continues its service of care and education. Bethany Home began in 1926 and provides elementary education today as the Bethany Christian Mission Center.
The Old Burial Grounds in Campton is the resting place for
Wolfe County is rich in culture, heritage and natural beauty. It is known as the friendliest town in the mountains.
Location. 37° 44.102′ N, 83° 32.826′ W. Marker is in Campton, Kentucky, in Wolfe County. Marker is on Court Street. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Wolfe County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Campton KY 41301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wolfe County, 1860 (a few steps from this marker); Swift's Silver Camp (a few steps from this marker); USA Gens. Morgan CSA (a few steps from this marker); County Named, 1870 (approx. 14.3 miles away); "Bloody Breathitt" (approx. 15.4 miles away); Breathitt Volunteers (approx. 15.4 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 15.4 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 15.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campton.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.