Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marianna in Jackson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School

1922-1970

 
 
Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 4, 2014
1. Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School Marker
Inscription. In 1922, Robert T. Gilmore (1879-1948), born in Monticello, founded Gilmore Academy, one of Jackson County's first African-American high schools. Trustees of Marianna's African-American community purchased this three-acre site in 1907 and raised $2,500 of the $4,500 needed to qualify for a Rosenwald Fund grant to build a two-story, limestone, six-teacher school. Created by philanthropist Julius Rosenwald (1862-1932) and educator Booker T. Washington (1856-1915), the fund financed the building of 5,395 schools between 1912 and 1932 to address the dismal state of education for southern blacks. After graduating its first class in 1931, the Academy was renamed Jackson County Training School (J.C.T.S.) As enrollment grew, grades 1-6 moved to the nearby Baptist Academy. In 1952, 85 years after the Colored School Society petitioned the state to build a school for newly freed slaves, the County built an elementary school on South Street. A high school was built on the same site in 1956, and Gilmore Academy closed. In 1970, 16 years after desegregation, J.C.T.S. became Marianna Middle School. Although the schools were "separate and unequal," principals, faculty and staff helped thousands of students become productive citizens.
 
Erected 2004 by the Gilmore Academy-Jackson County Training School Alumni
Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 4, 2014
2. Marker Area
Association, Inc. and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-506.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
 
Location. 30° 46.454′ N, 85° 14.517′ W. Marker is in Marianna, Florida, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of Orange Street and Clay Street, on the right when traveling south on Orange Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2871 Orange Street, Marianna FL 32448, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The West End Community (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Russ House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fighting at Ely Corner (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ely-Criglar House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Holden House (approx. half a mile away); St. Luke's Churchyard (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of the Battle of Marianna (approx. 0.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marianna.
 
Also see . . .  Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School Alumni Association. (Submitted on June 4, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
Marker area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 4, 2014
3. Marker area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement