Goodlettsville in Sumner County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Shortly after Mansker left the first station it was burned to the ground. In 1783, Kasper Mansker returned to the area and built a second station on the east bank of Mansker Creek. Here he lived with his wife Elizabeth and others, including Isaac Bledsoe.
Kasper Mansker, like others such as John Donelson, James Robertson, and Isaac Bledsoe, helped form the beginnings of local government. He signed the Cumberland Compact, which provided guidelines for the creation of government in the developing Cumberland region. In 1784, Mansker was elected to serve as the first Captain in Davidson County.
At the age of 62, Kasper Mansker volunteered to serve in the War of 1812, returning home shortly after fighting in the Battle of New Orleans. Mansker lived at his home in Sumner County until his death in 1821 at the age of 75.
Historic Mansker's Station is an authentic reconstruction of a 1779-1790 frontier forted station typical of early Cumberland settlements. While at the fort, you can experience
Location. 36° 19.361′ N, 86° 41.427′ W. Marker is in Goodlettsville, Tennessee, in Sumner County. Marker is on Caldwell Drive. Touch for map. The marker is located in Moss-Wright Park. Marker is in this post office area: Goodlettsville TN 37072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Long Hunters (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowen Plantation House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mansker Creek (about 600 feet away); Manskerís First Fort (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Bowen House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Goodlettsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Casper Mansker (approx. 1.3 miles away); Davidson County/Sumner County (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goodlettsville.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 11, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.