Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Escalante in Garfield County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

L.D.S. Tithing Office

 
 
L.D.S. Tithing Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 13, 2014
1. L.D.S. Tithing Office Marker
Inscription. This structure, the second public building in Escalante, was erected in 1884 of native stone by Mormon pioneers under the direction of Bishop Andrew P. Schow, Edwin Twitchell and Thomas Heaps. The stone mason was Morgan Richards. It was used to receive and house the tithing of the people, which was paid in kind and consisted chiefly of produce from the farms and gardens. Potatoes and perishable foods were stored in the basement. The building is now used as a D.U.P. Relic Hall.
 
Erected 1949 by Escalante Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 141.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 37° 46.196′ N, 111° 36.029′ W. Marker is in Escalante, Utah, in Garfield County. Marker is on South Center Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 South Center Street, Escalante UT 84726, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old White Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Escalante (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Public Building
L.D.S. Tithing Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 13, 2014
2. L.D.S. Tithing Office Marker
(about 700 feet away); Old Boulder Mail Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
L.D.S. Tithing Office image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 13, 2014
3. L.D.S. Tithing Office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement