Monroe in Sevier County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Camp Alma Relic Hall
One of the first families to occupy the cabin was that of Nella Mickelson. The Soren and Kristine Madsen family soon followed. Sunday School and choir practice were held here as well as many public functions.
In 1931, Camp Alma, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, decided to procure the Cordingly cabin for a relic hall. Dwight Swindle, on whose lot the cabin stood, gave the cabin to Camp Alma. In 1937, the husbands of the members along with other townspeople helped jack up the cabin and move it to the northeast corner of Monroe North Ward property.
The cabin had no roof, floor, windows, or foundation. Renovation began. Industrious members sewed and wove twelve large balls of rags together for the rag carpet. They lined the walls, covered the ceiling with White Factory, and painted the interior. Many relics were given to furnish the cabin, and on May 27, 1938, Camp Alma held its first meeting in the new Relic Hall. On July 23, 1950, the cabin was moved to its present site on Main Street.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 38° 38.078′ N, 112° 7.299′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Utah, in Sevier County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 North Main Street, Monroe UT 84754, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Alma (later Monroe) 1864-1867 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elsinore (approx. 3.9 miles away); Town of Joseph and Pioneer Log Cabin (approx. 5.1 miles away); Richfield Presbyterian Church and School (approx. 9.3 miles away); Fort Omni – Richfield (approx. 9.3 miles away); Academy Hall (approx. 9.3 miles away); Richfield Carnegie Library (approx. 9.5 miles away); Richfield Pioneers (approx. 9.8 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.