Axtell in Sanpete County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Settlement of Axtell
In 1880 the first school was built of logs, whitewashed on the inside with clay, and furnished with slab and pine benches. The first teacher was Hannah Hansen. The children walked, rode on horseback, or arrived at school in wagons, buggies, or sleighs, depending upon the weather. The school building, built in 1898, served the community for school, social, and church events. Atop this monument is the original school bell. For years, the bell's clarion-call tolled for
In 1876 Willow Creek was renamed for Governor Samuel B. Axtell in tribute to his friendliness with members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) during the trying years before statehood.
Erected 2008 by Centerfield Company, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 551.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 39° 3.294′ N, 111° 49.332′ W. Marker is in Axtell, Utah, in Sanpete County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 89 and Center Street, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 89. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Axtell UT 84621, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Redmond Town Hall (approx. 4.1 miles away); Centerfield (approx. 4.6 miles away); First Public Buildings (approx. 4.6 miles away); Casino / Star Theatre (approx. 6.9 miles away); Old Rock Church Salina Fort & Tithing Office (approx. 7.1 miles away); Gunnison (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Crosby Memorial Presbyterian Church and School of Salina (approx. 7.2 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 314 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.