Clarence in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Goodrich-Landow Log Cabin
Levi Goodrich, born in Hadley, Massachusetts in 1774, settled in Clarence in 1815. The patriarch of a large family was also a land surveyor. Goodrich laid out several major roads in Clarence, including the one named for him. In 1836 the entire Goodrich family left Clarence and relocated to the state of Michigan.
The Landow log home was originally on the east side of Goodrich Road, north of Lapp Road in the Town of Clarence. (1923 photo)
The last residents of the cabin were the family of Mr. & Mrs. Gustave Landrow, prominent members of the German settlement in north Clarence. The building was incorporated into the farmhouse of the Landrow's large and prosperous farm.
The restored fireplace wall is a focal point of the interior of the cabin. (Sherwood Greenberg photo, 2004)
The restored cabin has been oriented to the compass points as it was on the original site. The whitewashed, saddle-notched, round log building has a stone chimney back
Courtesy of East Hill Foundation, 2005
Erected 2005 by East Hill Foundation.
Location. 42° 58.789′ N, 78° 35.878′ W. Marker is in Clarence, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street (New York State Route 5) and Cummings Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Clarence Historical Museum. The museum is just east of the exit for Clarence Town Park (Cummings Road). Marker is at or near this postal address: 10465 Main Street, Clarence NY 14031, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Watchman's Flag Shanty, West Shore Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Clarence - First Grist Mill in Erie County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Our Comrades / In Grateful Memory Clarence Town Park (about 700 feet away); Town of Clarence - Ransom's Grove (approx. ¼ mile away); Niagara Frontier (approx. 1.9 miles away); Clarence Center (approx. 2.8 miles away); J. Eschelman and Company Store (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarence.
Also see . . . Clarence Historical Society. (Submitted on July 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on July 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.