Nephi in Juab County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Juab Co. Jail
Daughters of Utah Pioneers Marker
Prisoners from Juab county were first held in the basement of the Social Hall that stood on the corner of Center Street and Second East in Nephi. The next jail was a sturdy frame building built of thick heavy planks painted red located directly south and west of the old courthouse.
This Juab County Jail was built in the Territory of Utah four years before Utah became a state. The contract for construction of this jail was awarded July 13, 1892, to Pauley Jail Building and Manufacturing Company, St. Louis, Missouri, for $8,916. This two-story brick building is unique with iron cages and interior ceiling of heavy metal similar to a ship. Occupants through the years have known sorrow, repentance and remorse. Some were filled with bitterness and revenge. Suffice it to say that the old jail served the purpose for which it was constructed and remained in use until 1974.
This Museum and Community Center consists of part of the old Juab County Court House, the jail and a pioneer implement building known as the Brough Building. Pioneer memorabilia are kept and displayed in this complex.
Division of State History Marker
Built by the Pauley Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri,
This brick rectangular building with a sandstone foundation and a hip roof exhibits typical Late Victorian detailing such as the brick segmental arches over the windows and doors and a band of corbelled brick just below the eaves. The only significant alteration is the c. 1915 addition of a concrete, basement-level heating plant and accompanying large brick chimney attached to the north side of the jail. The top of the chimney has a simple geometric designs in cast concrete, reflecting the Prairie School style of architecture that was popular during the early twentieth century.
Marker placed in 2000
Erected 1991 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 459.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nephi UT 84648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Mill Wheel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oscar M. Booth House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Schools (approx. 0.6 miles away); Salt Creek Fort (approx. 0.6 miles away); Burraston Ponds (approx. 6.1 miles away); Salt Creek Canyon Massacre (approx. 6.9 miles away); Mona Bicentennial Memorial Park (approx. 7½ miles away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nephi.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.