Oswego in Oswego County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Oswego Harbor West Pierhead Lighthouse
In 1869, the pier was extended northward from its eastern terminus, forming an elbow with its northernmost point, identified with an iron lighthouse. In 1881, after the completion of the outer west breakwater, making an enclosed harbor, the lighthouse was moved to the end of the breakwater and designated the Outer Harbor Light.
By 1931, both the lighthouses and the inner pier were gone, three years later the pierhead lighthouse, which exists today, was built.
Location. 43° 27.711′ N, 76° 31.059′ W. Marker is in Oswego, New York, in Oswego County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Street and West 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on Lake Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the north side of Lake Street, on the grounds of "Wright's Landing.". Marker is in this post office area: Oswego NY 13126, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Open Water = Winter Birds (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wreck of the David W. Mills (about 600 feet away); Oswego West Side Forts (about 600 feet away); Fort George (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Oswego (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Oswego (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Ontario (approx. half a mile away); Prideaux's Campaign (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oswego.
Also see . . . Oswego West Pierhead, NY. This is a link to information provided by Lighthouse Friends.com (Submitted on July 15, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.