Grand Isle in Grand Isle County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Hyde Log Cabin
Built circa 1783
This pioneer log cabin was one of the first buildings constructed in this area. Built from cedar logs by Jedediah Hyde, Jr., an engineer and veteran of the Revolutionary War, it was the home of the Hyde family for over 150 years. The cabin has one large room, heated by a stone fireplace, and a loft above. Many believe this is the oldest log cabin in the United States. The cabin was moved two miles to this location in 1946 by the Vermont Historical Society and restored in 1956 and in 1985. The Grand Isle Historical Society owns the collection in this building.
Erected 2001 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 43.582′ N, 73° 17.539′ W. Marker is in Grand Isle, Vermont, in Grand Isle County. Marker is on U.S. 2 0.3 miles north of Hyde Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 228 US Route 2, Grand Isle VT 05458, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ebenezer Allen (approx. 5.6 miles away); Point Au Roche Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 6.3 miles away in New York); Historic Lake Islands - Samuel De Champlain Sheldon-Hagar Homestead (approx. 7.2 miles away in New York); Philip Farnsworth's Tavern (approx. 7.7 miles away in New York); Heritage Trail (approx. 7.7 miles away in New York); Plattsburg Bay (approx. 7.8 miles away in New York); Samuel Champlain (approx. 7.8 miles away in New York).
Also see . . . Hyde Log Cabin State Historic Site. National Register of Historic Preservation nomination for the Hyde Log Cabin. (Submitted on September 30, 2009, by Karen Eaton of Westfield, Massachusetts.)
1. Corner's Schoolhouse #4 (see picture #4)
This Schoolhouse was built in 1814 and is also known as the "Block Schoolhouse" for its construction of foot-thick squared-off logs, which can be seen through a stove air vent on the south wall. The timbers were laid up like a log cabin with lime-and-sand mortar. The 1 1/2 inch thick sawn planks were nailed vertically on the outside of the logs, and clap-boards nailed on the planks. A study by the University of Vermont revealed the original exterior color was yellow ochre; now restored to the building. The Schoolhouse was used in its early
Originally located 1/4 mile east of Grand Isle Corners on the south side of the road now known as East Shore Road North, it was moved to the grounds of the Grand Isle Elementary School in 1954.
In 2003 the Grand Isle Schoolboard donated the Schoolhouse to the Grand Isle Historical Society. It was moved in late November 2003 to the grounds of the Hyde Log Cabin and is open to the public every day except Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Memorial Weekend until Columbus Day.
— Submitted October 1, 2009.
Additional keywords. Lake Champlain
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2009, by Karen Eaton of Westfield, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,422 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on July 19, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1. submitted on September 30, 2009, by Karen Eaton of Westfield, Massachusetts. 2. submitted on September 12, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 3, 4. submitted on September 30, 2009, by Karen Eaton of Westfield, Massachusetts. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.