Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plymouth in Marshall County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Meeting of Marshall County

 
 
First Meeting of Marshall County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 29, 2014
1. First Meeting of Marshall County Marker
Inscription.
1836
Under the pine tree that grew near there this spot was held the first meeting for the organization of Marshall County.

First Commissioners
   Charles Osterhaut
   Robert Blair
   Abraham Johnson
 
Erected 1936 by Marshall County Historical Society.
 
Location. 41° 19.401′ N, 86° 17.931′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Indiana, in Marshall County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Road and Meadow Drive, on the right when traveling south on Michigan Road. Touch for map. Marker is located near the south corner of the intersection 150 feet southeast of Meadow Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth IN 46563, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Crossroads of America / The Lincoln Highway (approx. 1.5 miles away); Honor Roll - Marshall County Indiana (approx. 1.5 miles away); Replica of The Statue of Liberty (approx. 1.6 miles away); Taber Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Roberts Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Chief Menominee
First Meeting of Marshall County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 29, 2014
2. First Meeting of Marshall County Marker
(approx. 3.8 miles away); Potawatomi Indian Village (approx. 3.8 miles away); Hindel Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
 
Regarding First Meeting of Marshall County. The Indiana legislature on February 4, 1836 passed an act for the organization of Marshall County. Shortly thereafter on May 2, 1836 the board of commissioners of Marshall County held their first meeting. The commissioners held the meeting in the morning at the house of Grove Pomeroy at Michigan Road and LaPorte Street and appointed a clerk for the board. They then adjourned the meeting to 1 o'clock and moved the meeting to the farm house of Commissioner Charles Ousterhaute, located 1 1/2 miles south of Plymouth on Michigan Road. This is the location marked by the boulder and tablet. At the afternoon meeting, the commissioners approved the seal of the board, divided the county into three districts (Dist. No. 1 - North Township, Dist. No. 2 - Center Township, Dist. No. 3 - Green Township), and ordered elections.

(Source: McDonald, Daniel. A Twentieth Century History of Marshall County Indiana. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1908. Pages 80-82. Google books. Web. Digitized 29 May 2009.
First Meeting of Marshall County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 29, 2014
3. First Meeting of Marshall County Marker
View to southeast along Michigan Road
Accessed 29 July 2014.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement