Rome in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Stanwix National Monument
This bombproof, being relatively dry, was used as the powder magazine. This was revealed through period documentation, and it also explains why the British targeted this part of the fort during the 1777 siege.
Munitions stored in this bombproof included gunpowder, cannonballs, barrels of musket balls and slow match (spiral coils of nitrate treated rope that burned at a known rate, used to fire cannons).
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 43° 12.65′ N, 75° 27.327′ W. Marker is in Rome, New York, in Oneida County. Marker can be reached from Black River Blvd. (New York State Route 26), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located inside Fort Stanwix. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 E Park Street, Rome NY 13440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Surgeon’s Day Room (a few steps from this marker); Orderly Room (a few steps from this marker); Commandant’s Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Family Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Junior Officers’ Quarters Soldiers’ Quarters: Barracks Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Artillerymen (within shouting distance of this marker); Guard Duty (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rome.
More about this marker. The marker contains a picture of a soldier in the powder magazine, and has a caption of “engineer had neglected to build a magazine, though he knew there was no secure place for the ammunition. The garrison, in order to remedy this difficulty, took the seven spare feet which were left of the pickets, in in consequence of the mistake of the engineer as to their length, and having framed them, so as to form a square inclosure, the whole was placed within the body of one of the bastions, and being covered with earth, formed a safe deposit for the powder.
&brsp; Lt. Col. Marinus Willett, 1777”
Also see . . . Fort Stanwix National Monument. National Park Service website. (Submitted on August 5, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 5, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.