Hales Corners in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital
The first Protestant church in hales Corners was founded here in 1888 on land purchased from William Cobb. Services were held in German until that language became unpopular during World War I. The minister at that time spoke no English and had to learn the new language before he could preach in it. In 1962 the old church, the animal hospital and the hospital annex which housed the post office, were razed and the present church erected.
In 1911 Dr. Max W. Brach built what was reputedly the largest veterinary hospital in the United States about where the bell tower stands now. It had hot water heat and included an office, medicine room, bedroom and operating room. Dr. Brach’s practice was largely the care of horses.
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society. (Marker Number 2.)
Location. 42° 56.208′ N, 88° 2.801′ W. Marker is in Hales Corners, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on West Forest Home Avenue 0.1 miles east of South 108th Street (Wisconsin Highway 100), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10627 West Forest Home Avenue, Hales Corners WI 53130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Hales Corners – A Suburb (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hales Corners – A Farm Village (about 600 feet away); Turn of the Century Business District (about 700 feet away); A Village Emerges! (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. 1.3 miles away); Boyhood Home of Jeremiah Curtin (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hales Corners.
Also see . . . Church Web-page:. (Submitted on August 18, 2014.)
Categories. • Animals • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.