Columbiana in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Shelby County Seat Since 1826
Columbiana, originally called Columbia, was selected as the county seat of Shelby County in 1826 over rivals Calera and Montevallo. After the selection as the county seat, Columbiana celebrated by drilling holes in a large pine tree and packing it with gunpowder. The tree was blown up and the sound could be heard for miles. Later in 1826, the courthouse was moved to an old school building in Columbiana. An act of the Alabama Legislature officially changed the name of Shelby’s county seat to Columbiana on January 13, 1832. Columbiana was incorporated on December 5, 1837 with corporate limits one-quarter of a mile in each direction from the public square. In 1854, the decision was made to build a larger courthouse at the south end of “Silk Stocking Road,” now Main Street. From 1854 to 1908, several additions and changes were made to the courthouse.
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Columbiana.
Location. 33° 10.64′ N, 86° 36.415′ W. Marker is in Columbiana, Alabama, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (County Road 47) and Mildred Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1854 North Main Street, Columbiana AL 35051, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shelby Furnaces (here, next to this marker); Shelby County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured Steam Engine (approx. 4.6 miles away); Machine Shop Smoke Stack (approx. 4.6 miles away); Calera & Shelby Railroad (approx. 4.6 miles away); Shelby Springs Confederate Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); History of Wilsonville, Alabama (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbiana.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama article. (Submitted on August 14, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 14, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.