Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Catharines in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

City Hall 1937

St. Catharines Heritage Corridor

 
 
City Hall 1937 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
1. City Hall 1937 Marker
Inscription. Built on the site of the previous City Hall, this building was officially opened in August 1937 and was a hallmark of what was hailed as the dawn of a new era. The previous building, known as Benson House, was a former home that had been used as a temporary City Hall. The Old Courthouse was originally built to house only the municipal offices for St. Catharines, however, in 1862 the regional offices also took up residence. The building was therefore too full to house both the regional and municipal offices, so St. Catharines purchased the Benson House for use as the town hall. The home underwent significant renovations and the horse stables located on the grounds were converted into the police station. Sold to St. Catharines in 1876 by James Benson, a Senator in the first parliament of Canada, Benson House was originally intended to be used for a short time. In fact, Benson House was used for over thirty years until the new City Hall was constructed.

This building originally accommodated all city departments, including a police station and a jail in the basement, In 1963, the building was extensively renovated, but these changes did not affect some of the most significant elements found inside, such as the main entryway, with marble floors, ornate ceiling and a wide sweeping staircase.

The previous building used
City Hall 1937 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
2. City Hall 1937 Marker
as City Hall, known as Benson House, underwent significant renovations, including converting the horse stables for use as the police station.
 
Location. 43° 9.574′ N, 79° 14.834′ W. Marker is in St. Catharines, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is on Church Street 0.2 kilometers south of James Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the front lawn of City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 Church Street, St. Catharines, Ontario L2R7C2, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Founding of St. Catharines (here, next to this marker); Private Alexander Watson (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Catharines (approx. half a kilometer away); Shipbuilding in St. Catharines 1845 (approx. half a kilometer away); St. Paul Street United Church (approx. half a kilometer away); In Memorium Reqviescant in Pace (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Anglican Church, St. Catharines (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); William Hamilton Merritt 1793 - 1862 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Catharines.
 
Categories. Charity & Public Work
 
City Hall 1937 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
3. City Hall 1937 Marker
From corner of James Street. Marker faces sidewalk at extreme right by the Founding of St. Catharines marker.
City Hall 1937 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
4. City Hall 1937 Marker
Northward towards James Street
City Hall 1937 image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
5. City Hall 1937
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 16, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement