Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houghton in Houghton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Trinity Episcopal Church

 
 
Trinity Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 14, 2014
1. Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. Many of the Cornish miners, storekeepers and mining captains who immigrated to this area during the Copper Country mining boom (1842-1860) were Anglicans. On July 17, 1860, the Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, Episcopal Bishop of Michigan, met with nine Houghton and Hancock businessmen to establish a parish. The group held its first public worship services on September 15, 1860. At its first vestry meeting on July 13, 1861, the name Trinity Church was adopted. The present Jacobsville sandstone church was completed in 1910. Located on the site of an earlier wooden church, the present building has an interior design influenced by the Oxford Movement. The sanctuary's attractive wood carvings are the handiwork of Aloysius Lang of Oberammergau.
 
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1319.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 47° 7.263′ N, 88° 34.274′ W. Marker is in Houghton, Michigan, in Houghton County. Marker is on East Montezuma Avenue (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles west of Pewabic Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houghton MI 49931, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Trinity Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 14, 2014
2. Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Houghton (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Amphidrome / The Birth of Professional Hockey (approx. 0.3 miles away); Float Copper (approx. 10.2 miles away); St. Paul the Apostle Church (approx. 10.2 miles away); Calumet Theater (approx. 10.4 miles away); The Italian Hall / Italian Hall Tragedy (approx. 10.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Episcopal Church. (Submitted on August 16, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Trinity Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 14, 2014
3. Trinity Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement