Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Declaration House

(Graff House)

 
 
Declaration (Graff) House Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2008
1. Declaration (Graff) House Marker
Inscription. In 1776, while attending the Continental Congress, Thomas Jefferson rented two rooms from Jacob Graff, Jr., to avoid the "excessive heats of the city." Here, in Graff's house on the outskirts of town, Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence.
 
Location. 39° 57.039′ N, 75° 9.13′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of South 7th Street and Market Street, on the right when traveling south on South 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 Market Street, Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Graff House (here, next to this marker); “. . .it was intended to be an expression of the American mind. . .” (a few steps from this marker); American Pharmaceutical Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Rohm and Haas [Headquarters] (within shouting distance of this marker); Bicentennial Dawn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Siegmund Lubin (about 400 feet away); Robert Cornelius (about 400 feet away); W.C. Fields (1880 - 1946) (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
 
Regarding Declaration House.
Companion Marker next to garden door entrance image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2008
2. Companion Marker next to garden door entrance
The Graff House
In which Thomas Jefferson wrote
The Declaration of Independence
was reconstructed in 1975
with funds provided by the
National Park Service
and the
Independence Hall Association
Arthur C. Kaufmann, Chairman

This companion marker's unfortunate placement makes it a convenient object on which visitors clean their boots.
The original Graff House was torn down in 1883. The current structure was reproduced from photos and historic descriptions.

Thomas Jefferson rented two rooms whilst he was part of a delegation that was tasked with writing a document to sever ties with England. Jefferson entertained other members of the Congress in the sitting room of the house.
 
Also see . . .
1. Independence Hall Association Declaration (Graff) House site. (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.)
2. National Park Service page for the Declaration House. (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
 
Rear view of the Declaration House image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2008
3. Rear view of the Declaration House
Marker is on the right side of the gate.
View of companion marker next to the visitors entrance image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2008
4. View of companion marker next to the visitors entrance
Graff House (front view) image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2008
5. Graff House (front view)
Detail view of one of the house's windows image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2008
6. Detail view of one of the house's windows
As seen in the reflection, there is indeed, a Duncan Donuts everywhere...
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 5, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement